Skip to main content

Boss DR-110 Din Sync Mod

Learning how to fix and mod gear has been good for me. Not just because I get to enjoy using the instruments once they’re finished but because it’s helped me get more comfortable with failing. No one likes to fail but it’s precisely by screwing up that we can actually grow and learn. The first time I attempted this Boss DR-110 Circuitbenders din sync mod I screwed up and killed it. This time, I didn’t.

The DR-110 is a lovely drum machine. Much like a poor man’s TR-606, it has a wonderfully buzzy and metallic sound. And, unlike the 606, it has a clap. And what a glorious clap it is. Maybe the best clap in all drum machinedom? Maybe? It also has a positively bouncy swing to it. I like it almost as much as the 606, and even more on some sunny days. I can’t say enough good things about it.

Unfortunately, it’s pretty difficult to use this gorgeous sound in your songs unless you use it as a master clock because there’s no slave sync. No MIDI, no din sync, not even just plain clock sync. And Logic, my DAW of choice, seemingly won’t work as a slave. So that’s it. Game over. Time to cry and shut the 110 in a drawer, right?

Not so fast. Circuitbenders to the rescue.

The UK modders make an add-on kit that brings din sync slave functionality to your 110 so you can use it just like you would a 606. Additionally, the pattern will helpfully reset to the beginning when you press stop on the DAW, just as you’d want it to. (Apparently this doesn’t happen in some mods.) I was sold.

This was to be my first mod. I was confident. I had done quite a bit of work on other gear, and this didn’t look too complicated. I followed the instructions. I did everything right. I killed it.

Instead of holding onto the maimed drum machine and trying again later, I threw it away. I couldn’t stand the shame of having failed. I did, however, keep the mod in the hopes that someday my skills would improve enough to try again.

That day had come. I learned a lot adding the Moog Slayer filter mod to my Poly-800, and during that festival of shorts I realized that what killed the DR-110 was sloppy wiring on the switch and din socket. This time I would make sure the wires were trim and clean, with no opportunity for electricity to short between the solder lugs.

I followed the directions again, and aside from a little bit of trouble with the drilling, I managed to get everything installed pretty quickly. I was careful with the wires and proud of the job I did soldering them to the switch and socket. I double-checked my work, made sure I had indeed cut the fourth wire on the ribbon cable connecting the upper and lower boards, inserted the batteries, turned it on... and it played properly when I pressed start. So far so good. I took it upstairs to the studio, connected a cable from my Korg KMS-30 to sync it to my DAW’s clock, and it started up and stayed in time. By God, it worked.

I’m not ashamed to say I cried. It was such a relief to have it work. And now I could sync it to my DAW’s tempo. Happy days.

Bolstered by this success, I bought the Lil Erebus kit from Dreadbox. It’s now sitting in a drawer, dead, waiting until the day that I have acquired enough experience to get it to work. That day will definitely come though. I have no doubt about that now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Korg Poly-800 (Moog Slayer Filter And Battery Mod)

I’m trying to improve my electronics skills. I thought modding might be the logical next step from changing internal batteries and swapping out tactile switches. I’d like to add MIDI to my Korg Poly-61 and maybe improve the MIDI on my Roland JX-3P. These mods require skills above and beyond what I have now, and I certainly don’t want to wreck them in the process, so when a cheap Poly-800 became available on Yahoo Auctions, I snapped it up in the hopes of trying the Moog Slayer Filter Mod. As anyone who’s looked at a Poly-800 knows, there are no knobs on the front panel, just a few buttons and a lot of teal. I couldn’t do much about the teal but I could add two knobs to bring direct control of the filter and cutoff parameters to the fore. Seeing as it’s a Poly-800, and they sell for around $100 in Japan, I wouldn’t be too disappointed if I killed it. I could always sell it for parts and get my money back anyway. Cosmetically, my new Poly-800 wasn’t in terrible shape. There was so

Roland HS-80 SynthPlus 80 (Alpha Juno 2)

Although I listened to industrial music all through high school, and loved groups like Front 242 and Skinny Puppy, my interest in electronic music really exploded when I discovered techno and rave in 1991. I loved the energy of it but mostly I loved the sounds. It was unabashedly synthy, and each song was seemingly built around one or two incredible sounds that just repeated. It was glorious. I loved all the hoovers, but especially the Dominator, so if you had put money down with a bookie in 1991 that I’d someday be the proud owner of an Alpha Juno synth then you’d be a winner today. Well, almost. Instead of buying a reasonably sized Alpha Juno or Alpha Juno 2, I had to go and get the HS-80 SynthPlus 80, the rather unwieldy and, it has to be said, ugly home version. Introduced in 1987, a year later than the original Alphas, this behemoth widened the case to include an amp and two speakers. Gone are the fetching membrane buttons, replaced with D-50-style black push-button jobbi

Technics SY-1010

The Technics SY-1010 is not the most famous analog mono synth on the Japanese block. It's not the fattest sounding, nor the most complex. In fact, it's a little on the thin side and downright simple. It has one oscillator with only one waveform, for crying out loud. It's housed in a lightweight plastic case that's prone to discoloration, and its keys are often so yellow a life-long smoker would be shocked. And yet I love it. It was my first vintage synth purchase in maybe 20 years. I had recently gotten back into hardware, thanks to the MS-20 re-release, and was being increasingly lured in by the tantalizingly low prices on Yahoo Auctions. I had yet to really learn the language of auction lots in Japan but I took a chance and was surprised when I won the bidding for this Technics synth for around $100. Something of a rarity even in Japan, the SY-1010 was sold in Technics showrooms in Japan in the late ‘70s. I imagine it must have been similar to the RadioS